Friday, December 18, 2009

Don't Panic! Uruguyan Film Producer Yoshimi's a Hollywood $$$ Deal!

Hello loyal peeps! I'm back! I'll explain my extended absence in a later posting. As a matter of fact, I wasn't planning on writting another post until I finished Say Anything's Top 10 Albums of the Year article, but I just had to turn you guys on to this little gem. Unknown Uruguyan film producer Fede Alvarez put up $300 to finance a five minute short called "Ataque de Panico" (Panic Attack), which finds Montevideo, Uruguay under attack from giant robots. The short went viral and has received 1.5 million hits on YouTube so far. We all know that if something becomes a viral hit, Hollywood's going to jump on it. Alvarez told the BBC, "I uploaded 'Ataque de Panico!' on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of emails from Hollywood studios." Sam Raimi's Ghost House pictures won a bidding war and Alvarez now has a $30 million dollar deal sitting on his lap. A sci-fi thriller set in Argentina and Uruguay? Count me in. It's nice to see a fresh idea get some recognition. Enjoy!

No comments: