Wednesday, December 23, 2009

SayAnything: A Decade of Love Mix

The 2000's are coming to an end and I felt compelled to do... something... to commemorate the event. I owe this decade much; you see, this is the decade where I learned that love is a verb and not a noun. I learned what it was like to love a woman, selfishly and unselfishly. I learned that once love ends, it can be found again. I learned that my friends and family and the love we share are the very reason I am standing before you today as the man I am.

So, back to the point at hand. This decade's coming to a close and I thought that the best way to commemorate the occassion was to compile a Love Mix and send it out to my peepulation in some form. However, this was not to be just any Love Mix. I ambituously tried to define love in all its forms in one mix. Funny thing is, I didn't know what I wanted to say until I embarked on what can only be called a journey into the recesses of time, space, memory, and love. In order to do that, I realized I wanted this mix to be as universal a possible and my own tastes limit the possibility of the message I am trying to convey. I ended up asking a bunch of my friends one question: "If you had to pick ONE song that sounds like love, what would it be?" It was they who created the Lazarus pool of songs that were reborn into an entirely new narrative entity of love.

I'm not going to get into my philosophy of the mix-tape. Disclaimer: Obviously this is not the "Be-All Love Mix Of All Time." What I will tell you is that I found exactly what I wanted to say while I put these tracks together for you. Above all else, love is desire; the longing to be part of something greater than ourselves. We strive to become better than what we are through our ability to connect with others. Here now, is Say Anything's Decade of Love Mix. Thank you for inspiring me to be the best version of myself I can be. I'm not saying I'm there, but I am saying that I'm trying, because of you and the untapped reserve of love this world has yet to unleash. Without you, I am nothing because I'd have nothing to strive for. Happy Holidays. :)

SayAnything: A Decade of Love Mix:




1. U2- One
2. The Beach Boys- God Only Knows
3. Mazzy Star- Fade Into You
4. Kath Bloom- Come Here
5. Juan Luis Guerra y los 4.40- Burbujas De Amor
6. Eva Cassidy- Songbird
7. Carla Bruni- Le Ciel Dans Une Chambre
8. Phish- Waste
9. The Beatles- I'll Follow The Sun
10. The Smiths- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
11. Ricardo Arjona- Tocando Fondo
12. Rachael Yamagata- Be Be Your Love
13. Adriana Calcanhoto- Vambora
14. Ellis Paul- If You Break Down
15. PFC World Ensemble- One Love
16. John Cale- Hallelujah
17. Bill Withers- Ain't No Sunshine
18. Peter Gabriel- In Your Eyes
19. Stars- Violent
20. Café Tacvba- Eres
21. Glee Cast- Somebody To Love
22. Thicke- When I Get You Alone
23. Travis- Flowers In The Window
24. Katrina & The Waves- Walking On Sunshine

No comments: