Monday, September 14, 2009

Nobody puts Swayze in a Corner, not even Cancer

I grew up watching Patrick Swayze kick ass in Road House, Dirty Dancing, and most iconically of all, in Point Break. My cousins and I have recreated the scene where Keanu shoots the sky instead of Patrick hundreds of times. Swayze passed away today from pancreatic cancer. This hits home for me for a variety of reasons. My aunt recently passed away, also suffering from pancreatic cancer. I can tell you that it's not the easiest way to go. Lately it seems a lot of my childhood heroes have been moving on. By all accounts he was a good man; he overcame a bout with alcoholism and apparently took his new lease on life seriously. His career renaissance included such films as Donnie Darko and Powder Blue. Tonight, I'm going to have myself a nice double feature in honor of the man: Dirty Dancing and Road House. I offer his wife my deepest condolences and thank him for his contributions to my life. Click here to have the time of your life.


No comments: