Friday, November 28, 2008

The Butterfly Effect

Whether destiny or coincidence,
I know
I know that meeting you is an opportunity.
I've read about love at first sight, logically
it's absurd.
I know nothing about you
except,
how your hands will feel in mine,
the way my pillows will absorb the smell of your hair,
how your flip-flops will look
strewn
on my closet floor.
I know just how
your gum wrappers will line my waste paper basket
and I know
the heart-shape your thighs would take
lumped
comfortably
underneath my sweatshirt.

I am nothing to you,
now,
but I could be your happiness,
your depression,
your excuse to bar hop on Friday nights.
I could be the reason you hurry home,
your co-host for a pot-luck and
your joint bank account holder.

Your rebellion against your father,
your best friend's secret crush, your official jar-opener,
your frustration, your alarm clock,
your ride to church.
Your blanket, your scapegoat, and your last orgasm tonight.
I can be all that and yours.

Let it pour down on me, your irrational tantrums and your overreactions,
all you have to offer
and everything you hold back.

Let me weave layer after layer of you into the fabric of my life,
vibrant and rich textures to warm us
both
during the cold and dry February nights ahead.
A cocoon of photographs and stories,
decorated in quaint post-modern sentiment.
The pale halo of your cheeks in full bloom
a lamp
to light our rainiest afternoons
while Ray LaMontagne strums our story out.

We are an E-minor chord transitioning to A,
a D chord evolving into G,
we could be
anyway.
We are the definition of potential.

Join me for afternoons at the pool hall and nights at the cafe;
live jazz highlighting our conversations.
For lakeside barbecues and early morning runs.
For birthdays and family reunions featuring my aunt's nutella strawberry cake.
Let me introduce you to
a night a in Vienna,
an hour on Parisian backstreets.
Fall into my arms,
realize,
that you are genetically predisposed to fit there,
right there,
that there is no other place
where you'll be more at home.

No,
I don't believe in love at first sight.
It's absurd
But I do believe
in the possibility of you.

No comments: