Friday, October 9, 2009

Rest in Peace Zambo

The Peruvian singer Arturo "Zambo" Cavero, one of the greats in Peruvian creole music, passed away this afternoon from septicemia, a generalized infection in the body that was aggravated by his obesity. Click here to read Isabel Guerra's report on the Living in Peru website. I grew up with el Zambo's music playing in my house, one of the last links to my country of origin left to us after emigrating to the US. I didn't really appreciate el Zambo until later in life. I want to share with you one of his greatest songs, "Nuestro Secreto (Our Secret)." Truly an amazing song by an artist without equal. The Peruvian waltz is basically the Viennese waltz on 'roids. What these guitar players can make their guitars do in 3/4 time is out of this world. My uncle Jorge played "Nuestro Secreto" at family gatherings. I truly hope that el Zambo can find the peace in death that eluded him in life. What a day for news.

No comments: